Do you ever wonder how positive people always seem to stay so positive? Inherent positivity comes from speaking kindly to yourself, from choosing to see the world through a positive lens, and from manifesting your thoughts and desires into reality.
Having a life motto can help change your approach and perspective on life. Think of it as a guiding principle that can help you make tough decisions or remind you of who you are whenever you may be in doubt.
Life mottos are like mantras in that they help put words to the values, mindsets, and behaviors that you want to manifest.
Once you’ve set a goal or an intention for yourself, it’s a good idea to accompany each with a motto that you can verbalize and repeat in times of need.
Disclaimer: Below may contain affiliate links, I only recommend products that I use and love at no cost to you.
What is a life motto?
A life motto is words you live by that help give you a sense of direction, identity, and purpose. A motto should resonate with your personal beliefs and should feel empowering when you recite the words.
Mottos are typically short, catchy phrases that capture profound meaning. They can be summed up as philosophies of life. They can be inspiring, motivational and encourage you to keep moving forward, even when times feel tough.
Having a life motto is like a compass you can turn to when you feel you’ve lost your way, and it helps you recalibrate the direction you’re moving in if you fall off track.
If you need extra support and tools from a licensed therapist, I recommend MMS's sponsor, BetterHelp, an online therapy platform that is both flexible and affordable. Get started today and take 10% off of your first month of therapy.
Motto’s can also be used as a calming statement you repeat to yourself during stressful situations to help you return to the present moment.
When choosing a life motto, consider the person you want to be and your core values. Find a motto that reflects that mindset or belief.
In this post, we’re sharing a collection of life mottos to live by. Choose the ones that resonate the most with you. Repeat your mottos to yourself daily so you can build a strong connection to the words and their meaning. This way, their power will already be accessible to you when you need it most.
25 Mottos to Live By
1. Be kind; you never know the battles others are fighting.
2. Be the change you wish to see in the world
3. Live each day as if it were your last
4. The grass is green where you water it
5. Breathe in courage, breathe out fear
6. This too shall pass
7. I am what I think about
8. Tomorrow is another day
9. Progress, not perfection
11. We are all a work in progress
12. Be intentional in all that you do
13. Eyes on the prize
14. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take
15. Fake it ‘till you make it
16. Remember your why
17. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
18. There is always something to be grateful for
19. Vision without action is a daydream
20. There’s no better time than now
21. Don’t sweat the small stuff
22. It doesn’t matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop
23. Be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud
24. Let go of who you think you’re supposed to be; embrace who you are
25. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade
You’ve probably heard of some of these mottos before. Use these as inspiration or come up with your own! To develop your own life motto, think of a specific goal or attitude you’d like to create a motto for.
Then, brainstorm words, think of song lyrics and favorite quotes that you feel resonate with that goal or theme. Use your life motto to help guide you toward becoming the best version of yourself.
And remember, choosing a life motto doesn’t have to feel like you’re committing to it forever. As your goals and intentions change, it’s ok for your mottos to change as well.