Most of our lives are built around routines. Each day we get up, get ready, head off to work, and go about our days in more or less the same way every day. As we become comfortable in our routines, we start to live in a sort of autopilot mode.
Living life on cruise control can go on for years before realizing we’re actually unhappy and feeling disconnected from our lives.
To reconnect with ourselves, we have to take a step back and learn to use a more mindful approach to our lives.
Creating positive intentions for your life can help change your mindset and the direction your life is headed in.
Setting intentions helps you manifest the things you desire the most in life.
How to Set Positive Intentions
Setting positive intentions is similar to setting goals. However, goals usually have a measurable endpoint. Intentions differ because they are shifts in mindset, new behaviors, or habits that you want to incorporate into your everyday life.
Start setting positive intentions by thinking about the aspects of your life that you’d like to be more intentional about. Think about the following questions:
What are some of the things that fill up your happiness cup?
What are your core needs? Physical, emotional, mental, etc.
What does your ideal life look like?
What attitudes and limiting beliefs do you have that are causing blockages on your path to fulfillment?
Reflecting on these questions will help you see where you need to make changes to achieve a more mindfully driven life.
To ease into a practice of setting intentions, start by journaling briefly each morning and jotting down one positive intention you want to bring with you into the day. It could be something simple like “I will spend 10 minutes meditating today”.
Meditate on your intentions and manifest the behaviors, truths, and results you want to see in yourself and your life.
You can set one intention per day or many. Your intentions can change daily or, you can choose to challenge yourself to repeat the same set intentions each day for a set period, like a month. After all, the more you practice something, the more likely it is to become a habit.
There’s no right or wrong way of setting intentions. It’s up to you to decide what you think you can benefit from the most.
20 Positive Intentions to Set Daily
Remember that your intentions should be worded positively. So, don’t use statements like “I will stop doing this…”, use positive statements like “I will start doing this…”
To get you started, here are 20 positive intentions you can set daily that will help shift your mindset, improve your relationship with yourself and the connection you have with the world around you.
1. I will speak kindly to myself: Practice giving yourself grace when you’re not able to accomplish everything on your to-do list. Forgive yourself for shortfalls and mistakes you’ve made. Speak to yourself the way you would to a dear friend.
2. I will embrace a simple pleasure: It could be taking an early morning walk to watch the sunrise or taking a steamy bath to reward yourself after a hard work-out. Appreciating the little things is genuinely gratifying.
3. I will show kindness to a stranger: Something as simple as a smile can significantly impact someone else’s day. We’re often so focused on ourselves that we forget to connect with the millions of other people we share this world with.
4. I will spend quality time with a loved one or pet: Connecting with those closest to you helps you feel loved, connected, and fulfilled.
5. I will indulge in self-care: Give yourself a facial or go for a run. Whatever it means to you, self-care should be a priority in everyone’s life.
6. I will practice a mindful activity: Yoga, meditation, and journaling can help you feel in tune with your mind and body. This alignment is vital for inner peace.
7. I will engage in a creative activity: Craft something with your hands, write a poem, or come up with a new recipe. Engaging the creative side of your brain regularly helps broaden your mind and way of thinking.
8. I will practice gratitude: Recognizing the good in your life and being thankful for it helps breed more positive results in your life. A daily gratitude practice will help you maintain a positive outlook on life.
9. I will trust my gut: It’s easy to overthink, looking at all the pros and cons of a situation. When a decision can’t be made by reasoning through it, listen to your instincts.
10. I will process my emotions before reacting to them: If you often regret saying things out of anger or frustration, it’s time to take a step back. Learn to process your emotions and thoughts before immediately reacting.
11. I will go into the day with a positive attitude: Setting the intention of maintaining a positive mindset can completely change the course of your day.
12. I will be open-hearted and vulnerable: When you’re guarded, you miss opportunities to make connections. Living with an open heart allows you to be closer to others and relate to them better.
13. I will learn something new: We’re never too old to learn something new. Learning allows us to grow and keeps us challenged. Besides, you never know when you might find a new favorite hobby or career if you’re not willing to try something you never have.
14. I will go with the flow: Accept you can’t control everything, let go of your wants and your image of the perfect day. Allow the day to transport you wherever it may, without resisting.
15. I will listen with empathy and compassion: Many think listening is simply hearing what another person is saying and responding to it. But real listening is more than that. It’s giving your attention wholly to someone else’s thoughts and feelings, processing them as if they were your own to truly understand what they’re saying or experiencing.
16. I will be my most authentic self: Too often, we bring out the version of ourselves that we think others are more likely to accept. Focus on being your authentic self, and the right people will come into your life. Those that don’t accept you the way you are were never the right people for you.
17. I will look for beauty in everyday things: Beauty is everywhere but, you have to be willing to see it. Pay attention to your surroundings when you’re on a walk, notice the elderly couple still madly in love giggling with each other, or the setting sun hitting the corner of a building in the most stunning and dramatic way.
18. I will nourish my body with healthy foods: Prioritizing what you put into your body is a form of self-love. If your body is healthy, your mind and spirit are more likely to feel healthy too.
19. I will set boundaries where I need to set them: It can be hard to say no, especially when you don’t want to disappoint others. However, think of how draining it feels to say yes to something you don’t really want to do. Give yourself permission to say no and put yourself first.
20. I will be present in everything I do: Stay present by practicing single-tasking, only focusing your thoughts and mind on what you’re currently doing. If you can learn to do this every day of your life, inner peace will find you.
Setting positive intentions daily can help you change your outlook on life and the outcomes. Living life with intention and purpose allows you to be present in all that you do. It allows you to become more mindful about your thoughts, mindset, and how you react to external factors.
This list is a great place to start if you’re new at setting intentions; however, once you’ve mastered some of these, don’t be afraid to set your own!