We consume more than ever before. From food to clothing, electronics to entertainment – the list goes on and on. But what if you could consume less? What if you could make your purchases count for even more? Let’s take a look at 7 ways to consume less today!
What It Means to Consume Less
Consuming less is about being mindful about what you consume. It’s about relying on a more limited pool of resources and making wiser decisions.
For example, using the same amount of a resource, but getting more out of it. needs.
Also, to consume less means that one is able to get more value out of their purchases while also reducing the amount spent on products each week or month. This often comes in the form of buying items on sale or purchasing in bulk, as well as recycling and reusing products.
22 Ways to Consume Less Today
1. Shop second-hand for clothes, books, and furniture
This is a great way to consume less. By purchasing second-hand items you are not only saving yourself money but cutting down on waste by keeping your old things in circulation.
2. Make your own coffee at home or pack a travel mug to bring with you
An easy way to consume less. You can save time (and money) by making your own coffee at home or packing a travel mug before you leave the house.
3. Give up your gym membership or cancel that expensive subscription to streaming services
By giving up your gym memberships you are saving yourself money AND consuming less by not driving out of the way just for this purpose. Are you subscribed to Netflix or any other streaming services? Try to downsize your subscriptions and only choose ones that are the most important and valuable.
4. Switch to online banking
Switching to online banking is a great way to consume less. By not having paper bills you are cutting down on waste AND saving yourself time.
5. Make a meal plan and stick to it
This is a great way to consume less. Making a meal plan will help you determine what ingredients you need AND how much you should buy! That way you don’t overspend or waste food.
6. Bring your own shopping bags to the grocery store
By bringing your own reusable bag you are not only saving yourself money but cutting down on plastic waste.
7. Buy quality items that will last
Buy high-quality, long-lasting products. By doing so you are not only saving yourself money but consume less by having to make fewer purchases.
8. Buy items that are multifunctional
Buying products that have multiple purposes is a great way to consume less. By purchasing something with more than one use you are not only saving yourself money but consuming less by having to purchase fewer things.
9. Limit your use of plastics
By limiting the amount of plastic you consume (and use) you are not only helping out our planet but consuming less!
10. Limit the number of times you consume take-out or dine out
This is a great way to reduce your spending money as well. By limiting your consumption to only one restaurant at a time, you are not only saving money but consuming less.
11. Buy used electronics instead of new ones
Buying second-hand items like technology keeps things in circulation and cuts down on waste. It’s a great way to consume less.
12. Reuse things like grocery bags, water bottles, and more
13. Only consume what you need
By only consuming the things that are necessary, you are not only helping out our planet but keeping yourself from wasting money. Take the time to create a list of needs and wants, then you can comb through it and decide on the best steps to take.
14. Limit your use of plastic straws and cutlery to avoid contributing to ocean pollution
Switching to paper alternatives helps to consume less. By limiting your use of plastic straws and cutlery you are not only helping out our planet but consuming less by avoiding the need to make purchases.
15. Invest in reusable water bottles so you can avoid buying cases of bottled water
Investing in a reusable bottle is not only better for our planet but consume less. By bringing your own water bottle with you, when you leave the house- whether it be to work or just out and about town- you are cutting down on plastic waste AND saving yourself.
16. Use eco-friendly cleaning products in your home and office instead of buying new ones all the time
Buying eco-friendly cleaning products is a great way to consume less. By doing so you are making smarter and long-lasting purchases.
17. Limit the amount of trash that makes it into landfills each day
Using reusable items like straws, bags, and cutlery helps reduce waste and consume less.
18. Only consume what is necessary and useful to avoid waste
By limiting your consumption of unnecessary things, you are not only saving yourself money but avoiding the need to make new purchases.
19. Limit your use of plastic water bottles and buy reusable ones instead
Buying a reusable bottle is a great way to consume less. By doing so you are not only helping out our planet but consuming less by avoiding the need to make purchases!
20. Use eco-friendly products like bamboo toothbrushes that can be composted or recycled after you are done using them.
As we mentioned before, b]uying eco-friendly items is a great way to consume less. By doing so you are not only helping out our planet but consuming less by avoiding the need to make purchases.
21. Buy products that come in glass or metal containers instead of plastic ones
Buying products that come in glass or metal containers are a great way to consume less. By buying products in these containers, you are reducing the use of plastic and finding a valuable alternative solution.
22. Be mindful about your consumption
Being mindful about your consumption is a great way to consume less. By doing so you are not only developing a greater understanding but can even share advice with others about it.
It’s time to stop consuming. We know it sounds a bit difficult to do, but if you’re ready to take the leap into a more environmentally-friendly lifestyle with less stress and more fulfillment in your life, then review these 22 tips for you that will help get the ball rolling!