We live in a world which values money and objects in a disproportionate way. In many ways, it seems that, in an effort to simplify our lives, we’ve created complex systems to get there.
For example, the evolution of phone technology. Twenty years ago, we couldn’t multitask on our cell phones and their use was limited to making calls and sending messages.
Now, we can do just about anything on our phones, meaning we’re spending an extraordinary time tasking and browsing on them. In order to make our lives more streamlined, we’ve also amassed a great deal of digital clutter.
Simple living takes us back to the basics. It strips us of the things we don’t really need and only focuses on what provides us the most value, in pleasure or necessity.
If you’d like to learn more about the meaning of simple living, and why it is beneficial to live simply, we’ve compiled a list of 25 quotes that will help inspire you to live a simpler life.
1. “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like” — Will Rogers
2. “Make your life simple but significant” — Dan Draper
3. “The greatest wealth is to live content with little” — Plato
4. ‘If one’s life is simple, contentment has to come. Simplicity is extremely important for happiness. Having few desires, feeling satisfied with what you have, is very vital: satisfaction with just enough food, clothing, and shelter to protect yourself from the elements.’ — The Dalai Lama
5. “Less is more.”— Robert Browning
6. “It is my belief that God created man to live the simple life in harmony with and giving respect to our earth and bountiful totality.” —Phyllis A. Williamson
7. “Be as simple as you can be; you will be astonished to see how uncomplicated and happy your life can become” — Paramahansa Yogonanda
8. “The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.” —Hans Hofmann
9. “Be happy in the moment, that’s enough. Each moment is all we need. Not more.” —Mother Theresa
10. “The first step in crafting the life you want is to get rid of everything you don’t.” — Joshua Becker
11. “Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little” —Epicurus
12. “The best things in life aren’t things.” —Art Buchwald
13. “The question of what you want to own is actually the question of how you want to live your life.” —Marie Kondo
14. “Voluntary simplicity means going fewer places in one day rather than more, seeing less so I can see more, doing less so I can do more, acquiring less so I can have more.” — John Kabat-Zinn
15. “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” — Confucius
16. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” — Lao Tzu
17. “A low stress, simplified life is one in which the tough decisions and conflicts are met head on and handled immediately.” — Cary David Richards
18. “If I know anything about life, it’s this: it doesn’t have to be so complicated.” —Emily Ley
19. “Declutter your mind, your heart, your home. Let go of the heaviness that is weighing you down. Make your life simple, but significant.” —Maria Defillo
20. “Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials” — Lin Yutang
21. “The greatest step towards a life of simplicity is to learn to let go.” — Steve Maraboli
22. “Living simply makes loving simple.” — Bell Hooks
23. “A simple life is not seeing how little we can get by with—that’s poverty—but how efficiently we can put first things first.” —Victoria Moran
24. “As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” — Henry David Thoreau
25. “Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials.” — Lin Yutang
Hopefully, these quotes have helped shed some light on what simple living is and all the many ways that it can help you live a life that’s filled with quality versus quantity. If you’re interested in learning more about simple living and how you can incorporate this concept into your life, you read our simple living guide here.