Do you want to know the key to getting what you want? Ask for it! In this blog post, we will discuss seven different ways to ask for what you want. You can use these strategies in your business and personal life.
1. Be clear and concise about your request
Take the time to think about what you want and why. Figure out exactly what you need and how it will help your situation. Then, express this information in a concise way that is easy for others to understand and act on. Being clear will also help you to feel confident about your request.
For example, instead of asking “Can I get a raise?”, ask: “I would like a pay rise because…
The other person will understand exactly what you want and why.
2. Make sure that your request is reasonable, not too big or too small:
Even if your request is reasonable, it might not be the right time to ask for it. It’s important to think about this before you approach someone with a new idea or opportunity. Consider whether there are other people who will also need to give permission and how they may feel about what you want. They might have concerns that prevent them from allowing you to do what you are asking for.
3. Be confident when making your request – put some energy into it!
Even if you aren’t feeling confident on the inside, try to fake it a little—you will feel better and so will others.
Try to stay calm and smile as you make your request. It’s important not to waver or ask too many questions — things can quickly become unclear and less powerful this way.
4. Be clear on your intentions before asking – are you looking for a “yes” or a “no”?
Do they have a choice in this matter at all, or are they obligated to say yes because of their position of power over yours (i.e., boss/employee)?
If there is no choice, be sure to express appreciation after receiving your answer.
5. Practice your request ahead of time so the words will come easier when the moment arises
You can even roleplay it with a friend to help you feel more confident.
Some people like to write out exactly what they will say and practice reading it aloud in front of the mirror or while driving in their car. Once you know your request, there’s nothing left but to ask.
6. Consider what might happen if you don’t get what you want, and then decide if that outcome is acceptable
If you don’t get what you want, will your life spiral out of control? Make sure the outcome is something that you can live with. If it’s not, maybe a different request would be better for this situation.
For example: “I understand Mr. Smith has already made plans to travel abroad next week and won’t be able to attend the meeting. I also realize that asking for his time is a long shot at this point, but would it be possible to…”
If you are clear on what your intention is and why you want to make the request then people will understand how important it is to you.
When they see how badly you really need their help or assistance they will be more likely to say yes.
If you don’t ask the answer is always going to be a no, so it’s best just not to wait and put yourself in a position where you can receive what your heart desires. Do some research on different ways that people have asked for help or support before approaching someone with your request.
7. If someone says no, be gracious and thank them for their time
Even if you were expecting a certain answer, there’s no need to get upset.
Thank the person for their time and ask them what they think would have been a better way of going about this situation going forward. They may be able to give input or insight that will help in future situations where you want something from someone else.
Also, if the answer is no, there may be other opportunities in the future where it might work out.
The Benefits of Asking For What You Want
When you ask for what you want, the following benefits can come to fruition:
- You will feel empowered because your needs are being met.
- The person who helps give you what you need is likely to gain respect from others for stepping up and doing something that matters. This may result in them getting more opportunities later on.
- If you are in a position of power over someone else, they will likely feel more respected and valued because they know that their opinion matters.
- You will create a win/win situation because everyone is receiving something that they need.
- It will help you to get out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself.
- You can learn how to be more assertive in future situations so that asking for what you want becomes easier over time.
When people ask for what they want, it can be one of the most powerful tools to use in order to get ahead at work or in life. When others see how much effort goes into asking, they are more likely to want to help.
If you don’t ask for what you need or want, life is going to pass by and things that could have been will never come to fruition. So whether it’s something big like a raise at your job or just the ability to go on vacation with friends this year—it’s important to ask for what you want.
Asking for what you want is not easy to do and can often feel uncomfortable or even scary at first. However, once you get over that fear of asking and follow these steps your life will start improving right away.