Self-compassion is the ability to be kind and forgiving with yourself. It’s the ability to accept that you aren’t perfect, that you have limitations and that you won’t always be able to bring your best to the table.
It’s forgiving yourself for mistakes you’ve made and shortfalls you’ve encountered. It’s comforting yourself the way you would a close friend when they’re going through a tough time.
It’s truly being your own best friend.
Here, we’ve compiled 25 quotes about self-compassion that you can use to inspire self-love and compassion within yourself.
1. “Self-compassion is key because when we’re able to be gentle with ourselves in the midst of shame, we’re more likely to reach out, connect, and experience empathy.” ―Brené Brown
2. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.” ―Christopher Germer
3. “Remember, you have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” ― Louise Hay
4. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” ― Jack Kornfield
5. “Friendship with ones self is all important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
6. “When we give ourselves compassion, we are opening our hearts in a way that can transform our lives.” ― Kristin Neff
7. ”If you want to soar in life, you must first learn to F.L.Y. — First love yourself.” ― Mark Sterling
8. “You are what you believe yourself to be.” ― Paulo Coelho
9. “If you don’t love yourself, you cannot love others. You will not be able to love others. If you have no compassion for yourself then you are not able of developing compassion for others.” ― Dalai Lama
10. ”To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” ― Oscar Wilde
11. “Be nice to yourself… It’s hard to be happy when someone is mean to you all the time.“ ― Christine Arylo
12. “Perhaps, we should love ourselves so fiercely, that when others see us they know exactly how it should be done.” ― Rudy Francisco
13. “This is a moment of suffering. Suffering is part of life. May I be kind to myself in this moment. May I give myself the compassion I need.” ― Kristen Neff
14. “The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.” ― Carl Jung
15. “Be the love you never received.” ― Rune Cazuli
16. “When you are compassionate with yourself, you trust in your soul, which you let guide your life.” ― John O’Donohue
17. “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” ― Brené Brown
18. “Embrace the glorious mess that you are.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
19. “To be self-compassionate is not to be self-indulgent or self-centered. A major component of self-compassion is to be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with love, care, dignity and make your well-being a priority”. ― Christopher Dines
20. “Awakening self-compassion is often the greatest challenge people face on the spiritual path.” ― Tara Brach
21. “Speak to yourself with compassion on the inside and you will radiate peace on the outside.” ― Amy Leigh Mercree
22. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” — Maya Angelou
23. “Each moment of self-honesty builds intimacy, trust, and compassion. The more you look, the more you’ll love.” ― Vironika Tugaleva
24. “You make mistakes, mistakes don’t make you.” ― Maxwell Maltz
25. “Be kinder to yourself and then let your kindness flood the world.”. ― Pema Chodron
Hopefully, some of these quotes have resonated within you and helped give you a better understanding of what self-compassion is, and why it’s such an important component of living a life filled with love for yourself, and others.